Introduction to school-based telehealth
School-based telehealth improves and expands a student’s ability to access doctors and other caregivers. Increased access to health care helps students stay or become healthy and focus on learning.
Examples of school-based telehealth appointments include:
- Students seeing a doctor for annual appointments
- Students seeing a doctor to monitor conditions like diabetes or asthma
- Students getting behavioral health care to help them focus on learning
Telehealth provides many benefits to student patients, including:
- Improved access to and availability of different types of care. Students who are already attending school will have easy access to doctors, including specialists.
- Reduced time away from class. Students can attend a telehealth appointment in the school environment and quickly return to class.
- Reduced time and travel costs for the parent or guardian. Patients will have to travel to their doctor’s office less frequently.